Corinthian FC 2 Croydon FC 0

There was only one change to the side that played against Whitstable in the cup last week. Unbeknown to those who watched the Whitstable game, captain Nathan Campbell had an eye socket injury caused in the game, and he carried on right to the end of the game. However, the injury was why he was absent in today's game, and Danny O'Rourke played in his place.

SAT 12TH AUGUST 2017 - Corinthian kicked off and the first chance of the game came after only 82 seconds but Alex Hewitt was happy to see his opponent hit the side netting. He wasn't happy though when a pass from the right channel went to Michael Hurcomb whose shot went over the defenders and past Hewitt to give the home side the lead after 13 minutes. Croydon's first chance came five minutes later when Brad Wilson went through the middle, the ball went to Jeff Duah-Kessie and his shot went wide of the post. Ten minutes later came an attempt from Stephane Bombalenga, only for him to be blocked by a defender. Then came a couple of chances in a couple of minutes, first came a long cross from Craig Davies, then some good passing to Bombalenga but nothing went past goalkeeper Aiden Prail much to Croydon's frustration. Hewitt was lucky not to concede a second goal at one point when he didn't hold on to the ball, and at the other end Croydon could have equalised when Jamie McGeoghegan's free kick was saved. Duah-Kessie had a shot on goal blocked and a corner saved, Prail saving the day again. On the stroke of half time, Prail saved again this time a shot from Marvin Armstrong.

Although it sounds as if Croydon had done a lot, Corinthian had done so much more, both possession wise and passing the ball. The first twenty minutes of the game were Croydon's best in the game. Early in the second half, Davies had a couple of shots saved, and Sam Johnson had a shot that was cleared by the goalkeeper. Armstrong was tripped and Davies got a free kick which went wide of the post. With over an hour gone came a through ball from Wilson to Johnson that was saved by Prail. Then came a Croydon corner and another chance, this time from Duah-Kessie, was saved. Lorenzo Cuzzou took down Duah-Kessie and McGeoghegan's free kick was saved by Prail. Now Corinthian had possession and would hold on to the rest of the game. Corinthian got a corner, and Hewitt saved the shot. Hewitt saved another shot, but in between conceded Corinthian's second goal after 73 minutes courtesy of Conor Johnson. Croydon did have a chance of getting one back when the ball deflected off Prail, looks like going in, but ended in the side netting. The 84th minute saw Davies dribbling around the edge of the box, and took his aim at goal only for Prail to save the ball. Towards the end, Croydon did get one last chance from close range, again saved by Prail, but the game ended with three corners for Corinthian, two were cleared by Croydon and the last ended wide of the far post.

Croydon: Hewitt, O'Donoghue (McAllister 58), Johnson, Weller, O'Rourke, McGeoghegan (C), Bombalenga (Fejzi 45), Wilson, Duah-Kessie, Armstrong, Brown (Davies 26)

Sub (not used): Bryan

Yellow card: Fejzi 76