Croydon FC 3-1 bermondsey town fc


Delayed match report publication from last week’s midweek fixture, due to passing of Queen Elizabeth II


Bermondsey’s goalkeeper made a smart save down to his left after just five minutes and this set the tone for the first half. A long kick to David Green on seven saw him shoot Trams into the lead with the aid of a deflection against the league newcomers.

And for the most part, Trams were on top although Ryan Burrell-Grant dallied on twenty-nine minutes and lost the ball close in, almost costing his team but the visitors wasted the opportunity.

Thirty-six saw debutant Nathan Boamah send a long fly kick to the huge figure of Tyrique Grant but he was unable to take advantage and the ball was headed out for a corner.

Once again, Trams almost shot themselves in the foot when Boamah fumbled in the six yard area but the incoming forward connected only for the goalkeeper to atone and deflect the ball over.


Come the interval, the consensus  was that Trams had been dominant but had slightly lost their way. Yet they were still mentally in the changing rooms on forty-seven, a total lack of concentration giving the visitors the opportunity to squeeze the equaliser inside the near post.

Jorden Mbola was off balance when he shot over a minute later as the game became a tad scrappy. Variety was introduced on fifty-seven with a double substitution – Ashley Paul-Robinson and Lauris Chin joining the fray.

And within two minutes, Trams had restored their advantage – Green shot from the left and the goalkeeper let the ball through his hands. The game was effectively won on sixty-six when another substitute – Lee Peacock – created the space to hit a daisy-cutter inside the far upright.

Bermondsey weren’t done and sent in a good cross on thirty-nine and the resulting corner was wasted when headed over.

Chin created an opening for Green with just a minute of normal time remaining but the ball bobbled and went out for a flag kick. And it was Chin three minutes into stoppage time who raced through to provide a chance for Robinson when he should really have gambled and gone for goal and the ball ran loose.


Match Report: Steve Tyler