Despite being a goal down early on, the Trams remembered how to win, winning 3-1 after a fine performance.

It took three minutes before a cross went to Fredrick Agyepong who put the home side in the lead. Goalkeeper Tiwa Fujamade made sure the lead wasn’t doubled when, after a corner, he tipped the ball over the bar. The next corner was partly cleared by Croydon, whilst a free kick for SC Thamesmead, went over the crossbar.


A Trams free kick from Hanif Charles-Berry went towards Jubril Adamson, whose shot also went over the bar, and another attempt from ‘Jibs’ went even higher two minutes later. After another free kick, the ball found Lauris Chin who directed it wide. Later, after receiving the ball from Fujamade, Henry Swann passed to Chin only for his volley to go diagonally over the bar. An Eldi Baze cross went to an opponent, then to Swann whose shot went across the goalmouth. Action continued with a one-on-one as Adamson faced Acre goalkeeper Charlie Martin who managed to win the ball.


The half hour mark saw a Trams throw in, and once Thamesmead lost the ball, Swann equalised with a shot hitting the bottom corner of the net. Swann almost got a brace five minutes later but his free kick went over the bar. Chin was also close to scoring but his shot ended just wide of the near post. Following passes from Charles-Berry and Zach Powell, Swann had a shot on target, only for a clearance straight afterwards. Soon after, Baze received the ball from a clearance and saw a gap between Martin and the near post, putting the Trams in the lead.


The second half saw early chances from Powell and Baze. Croydon captain Jordan Anderson, making his first start for Croydon, then had two chances saved by Martin. This was followed by a Baze corner, and Uli Fischer’s header landed wide of the post. A Croydon corner then led to a chance for Swann, only for the ball to be punched out behind the goal by Martin.

Another Croydon corner was headed out by the Thamesmead’s Jack Petier before Chin passed to Swann whose shot led Martin to dive low in order to save. Fujamade did the same thing five minutes later.

With nine minutes to go, there was a Swann free kick that went to Anderson who scored only for the goal to be ruled out for offside; while David Green passed to Swann, only to end up wide of the post. However, a minute into stoppage time saw a cross to Green who put the ball past Martin into the net


FIXTURES UPDATE: Croydon’s nest fixture is Away to Rochester Utd on Saturday 11th Feb at 3pm.
After that, the Trams’ London Senior Trophy match against Jolof Sports will now take place at Croydon Sports Arena on Wednesday 15 February (KO 7.45), with the winners away to Romford side FC Petrocub on Saturday 18 February, KO 3pm. The Surrey Premier Cup match against Dorkinians FC will now take place at the Arena on Wednesday 1 March, KO 7.45pm.


Croydon:  Fujamade, Beckles, Charles-Berry, Powell, Anderson, Burrell-Grant, Chin, Swann, Fischer (Walker 85), Baze (Green 79), Adamson (Wealthyland 61)

Subs (unused): Antwi, Noiki


Match Report: Suniel Bhardwaj

Pictures: Archive pictures of the goal scorers