Following a successful midweek trip to Staplhurst Monarchs, Croydon continued their impressive run with another victory at Bermondsey and with the number of times the Trams hit the woodwork, the scoreline could have been much more convincing! 

Errol Mundle had a shot go wide of the near post early on, after his prior shot and one by David Green were blocked by the defence. TJ Clements, who made his debut on Wednesday on a rainy night in Staplehurst, also had a chance going over the crossbar. After Brenden Green had a shot go wide for Town, his team mate, former Tram Jayden Willis, had a shot saved by Tiwa Fujamade. Mundle then had a shot saved by opposition keeper Kieran Berry and Willis made a cross to another former Tram, ‘Tower’ Tim Beckford, whose shot went over the bar. 

Croydon had a couple of free kicks, the first after Tower was given a talking to, and the second, after Mundle was taken down by Kai Bishard, was taken by Green outside the box, and went over the bar. With 27 minutes gone, Fujamade pushed a ball over the bar, whilst a corner was cleared by the Trams defence. Green had a shot saved, then Town almost scored, and also had a shot going wide of the post. In a busy few minutes Mundle had a shot saved, then a Sammy Morgan free kick was also saved, blocked by the defence, another shot from the rebound was saved, as was a shot from Clements. 

It was thanks to a defensive mistake that Bermondsey let in an own goal a minute into stoppage time, the ball coming off the bar, and the defender attempting to clear only to tap in the ball from short range past Berry. With seven minutes added on, Croydon had time for two chances. Green took the ball off Willis, dribbled around the defence only for Berry to save. Then Mundle’s shot was blocked by a defender, then a corner was headed out before the whistle blew for half time. 


The second half started with a cross from Morgan to Mundle whose volley went over the bar. Croydon then got a couple of free kicks, with the second one punched out by Berry. After a throw in, Andy Walker crossed to Eldi Baze whose shot went wide of the post. Jahquan Springer’s shot then came off the keeper, whilst another shot went off target. Springer was closer to scoring a few minutes later, but his free kick hit the crossbar, and off the rebound, the ball went not only over the crossbar, but over the fence too. Another close attempt came along, with a short pass from Walker to Green, and his shot just went over the crossbar. 

Croydon got a corner, Green passed to Kieran Rufus, and his shot wide of the post. A pass from Green went to Joey Wealthyland, who hit the bottom of the post. Town had a chance, as Willis channeled the ball to their forward whose shot went wide of the post. A throw in was taken near the corner flag, then Green passed to Bola Noiki whose shot went over the bar. Springer was unlucky that his free kick hit the crossbar and was saved by Berry afterwards. Finally, after a pass from Green, Springer failed to be on target, and with the clock just gone after 5pm, a Croydon corner was defended and the final whistle blew. Multiple chances for Croydon but ultimately the right result on balance.


Croydon: Fujamade, Beckles, Morgan, Clements (Noiki 81), Burrell-Grant, Rufus (C), Powell (Springer 66), Baze, Walker (Wealthyland 67), Mundle (Mbola 80), Green.
Sub: (unused) Anderson



Match Report: Suniel Bhardwaj
Pictures: Paul Davis