For a second week running, Croydon took the lead and had multiple chances to kill the game off but conceded late on, to give away the points.


There were hopes of a clean sheet with the return of captain Jordan Anderson this weekend but Faversham scored an early goal, only for it to be disallowed for offside. This was followed by a cross to Lauris Chin in the fourth minute, only for him to miss before Chin passed to Sammy Morgan, only for the ball to go out for a throw in. Chin had another attempt stopped by a defender before Aaron Bogle passed to David Green only for his shot to be caught by opposite keeper, Henry Earls.


However, Andy Walker scored on 27 minutes. A cross came in from the right, Green had a touch, there was a clearance, and the ball with Walker, whose shot went past Earls. There were two more chances before the end of the first half, first there was a pass to Chin, whose header went off target, this was followed by Walker’s chance, also off target. 


After a Croydon corner from Sammy Morgan came a couple of chances from Chin and Walker which didn’t come to fruition. Chin was a constant threat to Faversham, and there was concern when a challenge from an opponent looked like he was going for Chin’s foot rather than the ball, only to be let off by the referee. There were neat passes between Green and Walker, only for Walker to be given offside, followed by Green nearly scoring.


Walker was substituted and subsequently booked, presumably for walking off the pitch too slowly. To make matters worse, Marshall Wratton scored a minute after Walker came off. Croydon renewed the attack and Aaron Reber had a chance which went high over the bar before a trip on Bogle saw Croydon got a free kick but Jahquan Springer’s shot went straight to Earls. After a further Reber’s pass to Green, another pass went to Springer only for his shot to go over the bar.


Faversham responded by taking the lead when Tom Barton scored. With five minutes to go, Croydon could have equalised when a Reber pass went to Faversham’s Lee Sayer, whose backheader almost went in the goal.



Croydon have a busy week coming up. Saturday sees FA Vase action against Shoreham at the Arena, whilst Lewisham Borough are at the Arena on Bank Holiday Monday, with both matches kicking off at 3pm. Croydon’s Under 23 side makes its debut in the SCEFL Development League on 30 August


The Coming of Age, the history of Croydon Amateurs FC’s first twenty-one years, is almost ready for print but an urgent request.

Do any readers have photographs (as opposed to press cuttings) of the Albert Road  Recreation Ground from pre 1953 and also the nascent Arena in 1953 and 1954? Emails please to historian Steve Tyler on


Croydon: Kamurasi, Bogle, Morgan (Sene-Richardson 83), McGovern, Anderson (C), Rufus, Reber, Morton (Beauchamp 64), Walker (Springer 70), Chin, Green (Thompson 83)
Subs (not used): Allen.



Match Report: Suniel Bhardwaj