Croydon won 7-1 against K Sports who had been top of the table until recently. 

The match started with Sammy Morgan hitting the bar with a great strike from distance. Harvey Morton’s first goal came after some good work from Lauris Chin, who played Morton in who calmly rounded the keeper and scored his first goal in the 17th minute. 

Herve Mbongue equalised after 29 minutes for K Sports and the first half ended all square before things really took off after the break.


Morton’s second goal came after a really good build-up of play. James Fray with good feet beat a couple of K Sports defenders, and passed to Morton who put it across the keeper from 18 yards to put the Trams back in the lead after 50 minutes. Seven minutes later, Morton got his hat-trick. A ball into the box found Morton who put it back past the keeper.

The next goal came from Uli Fischer and started with a pass from Lauris Chin, who took on a defender at pace, driving into the box then squaring it for Fischer to smash the ball into an open net. 

The fifth goal came from David Green. The ball comes into Sam Sene-Richardson about 30 yards out from Green, he held off a defender and passed to Green. Green then cut inside past a few defenders and struck the ball across goal on his left foot to the bottom corner. Talking of the game, Green felt that “generally I would say it was a very assured performance, dominant on the ball and much more.”

K Sports then conceded a penalty in the 80th minute. Aaron Reber took it, and the ball came off the goalkeeper and went in the net. 

The final goal came in the 85th minute from 16 year old Sam Sene-Richardson. Sene-Richardson had a good week, making his first team debut at parent club Chatham Town earlier this week, and scoring his first senior goal today. Sam received the ball in the box, faked a shot with his right foot when a defender slid to block him, but Sam dragged the ball onto his left foot and smashed the ball into the far corner.


Speaking after the game, manager Liam Giles said: “My view on the game is we totally dominated and controlled the play from start to finish, the scoreline didn’t flatter us and perhaps should have been more. We’ve had our share of bad luck so far this season so today it was nice to see us play so freely and look so comfortable with the football. I think this result (has) been a long time coming if you look at the chances we have missed in previous games.”



Croydon are next in action on Saturday 23rd, Away to Lordswood in the FA Vase, KO 3pm.




Match Report: Liam Giles

Pictures: Archive