Before kick off, there was a minute’s silence to pay tribute to Elianne Andam as well as those in the Borough of Croydon who lost their lives to knife crime in the last year. 


Croydon continued to go up the SCEFL Division One table, following another high scoring match involving the Trams.


A pass from James Ayetine to Lauris Chin was saved by what looked like a header from goalkeeper Matt Bailey. Unfortunately, it actually hit his face and he was down for a short while but got up and carried on as soon as possible. Croydon did have a chance where a cross from the right wing went over the bar. Forest Hill Park were the next to have a go, a chance was blocked by Richard White for a corner, and afterwards a forward’s header landed wide of the far post.

Croydon got a free kick, but Ryan Palmer’s shot went wide of the near post. However, Lauris Chin was on target on 16 minutes, with the ball eventually going over the goal line after what felt like an eternity. Ten minutes later, FHP scored, but the goal was disallowed as James Fray was taken down, and he was soon off the pitch to be replaced by David Green.

Soon after FHP’s Andrea Carrera had a shot blocked by captain Jordan Anderson, Chin passed to Green, who passed back to Chin whose shot went over the crossbar, but was offside anyway. On 38 minutes Croydon got a corner. The ball went to the far post, was crossed towards the near post and Adam Allen poked the ball into the net to double Croydon’s lead. Croydon got a free kick that Anderson and Allen managed to keep in play, and Croydon got a throw in. The ball was channelled forward, and kept in play by Sammy Morgan only for Bailey to catch the ball.



In the second half, it only took two minutes for Croydon to extend the lead. After cutting from the left and taking on a couple of players, Green took a shot from 25 years that Bailey failed to hold on to, and certainly showed his displeasure afterwards.

Forest Hill Park got their consolation goal in the seventieth minute, when after a cross, a shot went past George Kamurasi. Croydon responded, winning a corner which was punched out by Bailey. Croydon got a free kick, but the ball reached an opponent rather than Jahquan Springer and was cleared.

There were anxious moments with 90 minutes on the clock when the away side got a free kick which was initially cleared but went towards goal and was saved by Kamurasi. Kamurasi soon had to deal with an opponent before he eventually cleared the ball.

Finally, a minute into stoppage time, after a 1 to 1 with another player, Springer managed to slot the fourth goal in the net before the final whistle blew.


Croydon: Kamurasi, Morgan, McGovern (Brown 77), Anderson (C) Fray (Green 27), Allen, Ayetine, White, Chin (Springer 67), Bogle, Palmer.

Subs: Morton, Hizzett.



atch Report: Suniel Bhardwaj

Pictures: Nigel White